The Faith of the Seven (New Ways) is the principal religion of the Seven Kingdoms. It is little-practiced beyond its borders. The only regions where it is not the majority religion are the North, where worship of the Old Gods of the Forest remains strong (Old Ways), and on the Iron Islands, where the local religion of the Drowned God is most widespread.
The Faith holds that there is one god who has seven faces or aspects: the Father, the Mother, the Maiden, the Crone, the Warrior, the Smith, and the Stranger. Each aspect represents one part of life or existence.
- The Father: represents divine justice, and judges the souls of the dead.
- The Mother: represents mercy, peace, fertility, and childbirth.
- The Maiden: represents purity, love, and beauty.
- The Crone: represents wisdom and foresight.
- The Warrior: represents strength and courage in battle.
- The Smith: represents creation and craftsmanship.
- The Stranger: The Stranger represents death and the unknown.
Due to its seven "aspects", the deity is often referred to as the "Seven-faced God" or the "God of Seven", but most frequently as simply "the Seven". The Seven are also referred to as "the New Gods" or "New God", in contrast with the "Old Gods" of the Forest worshiped by the First Men before the invasion of the Andals.